Wednesday 18 March 2015

That Moment When I Pretended To Return Their Love

India is a land full of generous people, at least I meet them very often. I call them aunty, uncle, tayaji, tayiji, mamaji, mamiji and so on. You all must be wondering that why am I calling them generous, right?

Well, if you are born and brought up in India, then you must have experienced the times when the elders in your family gift you cash on some special occasions. Your first visit to their home, their first visit to your home, your birthday, graduation day, wedding, and there are many such occasions when the cash flows in without doing any hard work.

I remember one such moment from my 16th birthday party. Although I didn’t want to celebrate it with my relatives, because that’s the trend, right? At that age, teenagers like to spend their birthdays with their friends. But, my mom was too happy that I turned sixteen and invited every relative to my birthday party as a surprise.

Only I knew that the surprise was more of a shock to me. I was really not liking it, until one of my aunts came and handed over a beautiful envelope filled with cash to me, which is popularly known as ‘Sagan ka lifafa’. Other uncles and aunties walked on her footstep and surrounded me with pretty envelopes in their hands. Oh god! I was overwhelmed. I could not believe that I am getting so much cash (Oops! I mean love).

And then, my sweet mom took charge of that beautiful situation. She scolded me in front of those generous relatives and asked me to return back their love. Oh no! I did not want it to happen, but I had to do it. With a very-very heavy heart, I acted to return back those envelopes, saying statements like ‘there’s no need of this’, ‘your blessings are enough’, blah blah blah! At last, the war was over and I got defeated by relatives who have golden hearts. 

Ahhh! That moment was incredibly humorous and I’m all smiles whenever I remember it. Now, the time has changed. Instead of surprising me with cash, my lovely aunties and uncles send me flowers, cakes and gifts online through Ferns N Petals. The bright side of the coin is that I don’t have to fight with them anymore pretending that I really don’t want their gifts.

Gifts, be it cash or anything, make us happy and we deserve them too. So, keep loving, keep gifting and keep making such moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment